Saturday, February 12, 2011

Scuba-Diving, and the Rainforest

My scuba program was so much fun. I am so happy I did the 5-day course, which was a few days of class with learning the theory and practicing in a pool, and then open water dives out by the reef to practice. After 3 open water practice dives as part of the course, I got my open water certification and got to dive with buddies for the rest of my days on the boat. The reef was so beautiful, and it was incredible to get to swim with fish and see all these incredible things that you don't get to see from the surface or from snorkeling.
Swimming with Nemo :)

One of the cool things was that I got to go on some night dives. It was really scary at first, but ended up being some of my favorite dives of all. There were sharks, and this really pretty glowing planketon, and I saw sleeping turtles and an octopus.
On my last day, they asked me to stay on and volunteer for a few days. If I helped them clean, I would get free dives. So, in the spirit of my newfound passion, and spontaneity I ended up spending a few extra days on the boat. It was very fun, and I got a lot of practice with diving. I was washing dishes (again) but it was worth it.
The dive gear on the dive deck of OceanQuest, the boat I went on
The only downside was I had 2 days in Cairns. But, it was pretty fun even though it was so short. I ended up staying at an awesome hostel, and my roommates were really nice. 2 were from France, so I got to practice my very rusty french. The hostel also had a deal with a restaurant in town for free dinner, so that was really convenient as well. On my full day there, I went up to this village in the rainforest called Kuranda.
The beautiful waterfalls on the way up to Kuranda Village

An adorable sleeping koala

It was beautiful, and so neat to see all the trees and waterfalls on the way up there. They had street markets to walk around in, and a small zoo where I saw koalas and pet and fed a kangaroo :)
Isn't he cute??

After my time there, I was off to Sydney for another 3 days.

1 comment:

  1. nemo was always one of your favorites. i liked kuranda too. like being in a beautiful terrarium.

    ReplyDelete