Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cyclone in Cairns

Yesterday morning, after a delicious late breakfast of pancakes, and then an early lunch snack of naan, I left Sydney for Cairns. I was looking forward to sunning, scuba diving, seeing the rainforest, and really enjoying all the place had to offer. Which, apparently, includes catagory 5 cyclones.
A cyclone is a hurricane spinning in the opposite direction (due to the equator being above us rather then below) and the catagory system is the same. I haven't really been watching the news, nor if I was would it have changed my plans to come. I managed to check into a nicer, sturdy hotel (although the hostel I picked here is very nice) and am going to ride it out.
This is just one of the more adventuresome things that comes with travelling (especially in cyclone season). I am not at all concerned- I mean, I know I am trapped in the path of a catagory 5 cyclone, but its not that big of a deal that the news is making it out to be. Its not like I am trapped in Egypt.
I just hope I will still be able to go diving later on this week!

1 comment:

  1. Very scary. I hope all is well. The monkeys and I send hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete