Monday, March 5, 2012

His Majesty's Birthday

About a week after school started, it was His Majesty’s Birthday, on February 21st. This is a national holiday, and really quite a big deal here in Bhutan. Everyone celebrates, and schools throw celebrations of their own. This year was particularly special because the main celebration for the entire Gasa district was not going to be at the Dzong (the center of government) like it always had been, but instead here at Bjishong school. The celebrations take a lot of practice in the first place (its what the kids spend their whole first week of school doing) but needless to say, we had to prepare even more than usual since we were the hosts for the whole district (or so I inferred).

This was a dance performance by some of our younger students. And it was the cutest thing I have seen since baby seals in Antarctica. I have a video of it as well...if I am ever blessed with high speed internet I will post it.
The start of the celebration with the students marching

Having never celebrated His Majesty’s Birthday before, I really didn’t know what to expect, and I had nothing to compare it to, but I think it was spectacular. There was a presentation of dances, both cultural and traditional, and some with modern twists. Layap people came down for the celebration, so we got to see some of their traditional dances as well.

Some of the Layap people performing their traditional dance

As strange as it is to see people just preparing for this event for a week straight instead of having classes, I really liked the result. I think it is fortunate that His Majesty’s Birthday falls so early on in the school year, because it is a great way to start it, with an event that everyone is so enthusiastic about. Coincidentally, the 22nd and 23rd of February were Losar, which is Bhutanese New Year, so we had those days off- I got to go down to Punakha and see Noorin, and it was a lovely relaxing break before the start of the academic year.

1 comment:

  1. Teaching at this location must be a great experience, truly amazing and beautiful people. Thanks Sarah

    ReplyDelete